I've Moved!

The time has come to move into my new website. for my new reviews please visit me at:

Did You See That One?

Friday, September 9, 2011

The Virgin Suicides



Sofia Coppola hit one out of the park when she made this film in 1999. The story of the implosion of a family is remarkable and well-told. Starting with tragedy and ending with tragedy, this is the story of parents who are unable to control the destiny of their children. Told from the perspective of the young men around the five girls, this is a story that kept me interested through to the end.

From the eerie soundtrack to the well-written narrative this film is a success. Having seen it for the first time I'm surprised that it has every bit of value it likely had when it came out. I was also sceptical of the acting when I saw that two teen stars, Josh Hartnett and Kirsten Dunst were in the film. In 1999 I wouldn't have considered either of them for a serious drama like this one. I would've been wrong.

This isn't a film for everyone. The title is likely to prove that. I am impressed with the examination of the family and their roles in the lives of one another, as well as the role that the outside world had on the outcome. It's definitely a major indictment on society and also parental control. I think this is worth watching if you're a fan of serious film.

I would rate this a 3.8 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment