I've Moved!

The time has come to move into my new website. for my new reviews please visit me at:

Did You See That One?

Friday, September 30, 2011

After.Life (2009)

Once in a while I decide to watch a horror film. To be honest I'm not much of a horror fan, mainly because horror films so rarely work for me. The film After.Life was an exception for me. This film added mystery and drama in ways that exceeded my expectations for a horror film.



Starring Laim Neeson, Christina Ricci, and Justin Long, this film is a dark story about the transition from life to death. Neeson plays an undertaker who appears to have a gift for helping people accept their deaths. His next client is a young school teacher Anna (Ricci) who can't accept her that she has died after a terrible car crash. Neeson works through the denial and rejection as he deals with Anna's grieving fiancee Paul (Long). Meanwhile Paul suspects that Anna isn't dead and drama builds as he finds more reasons to believe so. The question of who is dead and who is alive must be answered.

This isn't a blockbuster film but it has some high points. The acting is wonderful and makes up for some points in the film that seem to stray from the point. It's a thinker's film so don't expect monsters to jump out of the corner to scare you. I found the movie less predictable than most horror films of the last few years as well. In the end I'm glad I saw it and have little criticism besides the meandering points in the plot.

One point to make is that the film shows off a bit more of Christina Ricci than I expected. It doesn't add to the film but it's not excessive.

I would give this film a 3 out of 5 stars.

Film Rating: R
Time: 104 Minutes
 

No comments:

Post a Comment