I've Moved!

The time has come to move into my new website. for my new reviews please visit me at:

Did You See That One?

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sleepers


Once again I find myself writing about a film with a powerful message but no redeeming values to expound upon. The film is Sleepers which was released in 1996 and includes talents such as Brad Pitt, Robert DeNiro, Kevin Bacon, and Dustin Hoffman.

The film focuses on the friendship of four boys from Hell's Kitchen who find themselves in a home for boys after a prank goes wrong. Their experience inside this institution becomes the changing point for them as they each cope with the abuse in different ways. Their only relief coming from the visits of their priest, Father Bobby, played by Robert DeNiro.





The film goes from the abusive experience the boys had in the institution to the revenge they each sought as adults. Despite leading different lives they were all tied together in their experiences. This bond would be tested as two of them find a way to gain revenge on the men who had harmed them as boys. What would follow was a courtroom drama well played out by the actors involved.

This is a powerful movie that defies description since it is emotionally charged and requires watching to really capture the experience as a whole. Like some of the other films I've reviewed, this is not for children. This film addresses some very serious issues with some graphic scenes of violence and abuse. I can't say that I enjoy this film, but I can say that it's a well-made film and I appreciate point it makes.

I would rate this at a 3.7 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment